Councils collect a building administration fee on behalf of state government.
The fee is used to improve compliance and quality of work in Tasmania’s building industry.
Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) does not manage the industry training levy.
CBOS manages the building administration fee (BAF)
- the BAF is payable on work costing $20,000 or more
- it applies to building and demolition work and any related plumbing work
- the rate of the fee is then calculated as 0.1% of the total cost of that work
- more information relating to the BAF can be found in Part 21, Division 1 of the Building Act 2016.
Where to next
- to understand the difference between the building administration fee and the industry training levy read the Director's Building Administration Fee and Training Industry Levy Guideline (pdf, 83.4 KB)
- to understand your building administration fee obligations read the Director's Determination - Building Administration Fee (pdf, 138.2 KB)
- to help Permit Authorities calculate the amount that needs to be paid, use the Building Administration Fee Return Certificate (xls, 57.0 KB)