If you work in the building industry and have a client who is not paying the debt that they owe you, you can take the following steps:
- Serve a Claim for Payment upon the person or business
- The person must respond within 10 days for commercial building work, or 20 days for residential building work with a payment schedule
- If a Payment Schedule is not received the Builder can get an adjudicator for a ruling
- If the adjudicator decides the amount needs to be paid then the debtor must pay it within 5 days unless another date is set by the adjudicator
- If the amount is not paid by the due date then the builder can ask the named authority for an adjudication certificate
- The builder takes the adjudication certificate to a court registry to be enforced as a judgement debt
- The builder can also serve notice on the debtor to say they are stopping work on the building work.