You need a contractor licence if you intend to sell electrical services to the public, business or government.
I have a large business. Can I have more than one nominated manager?
You can have more than one nominated manager for each occupational class. For example, a business contracting for electrical and plumbing work is required to have at least one nominated manager. However they may choose to appoint more than one nominated manager to make sure the business has the available skills during leave periods or to expand the scope of work that can be performed by the business.
Electrical contractors (electrical only) are able to have 'signatories' - these are staff who are permitted to certify the work is compliant with the relevant standards. The nominated manager is the person responsible for the quality of the work undertaken by the 'signatories'. You must add the names of each 'signatory' and the 'Nominated Manager' to your online application / My Licence account.
Read the Fact Sheet - Information for electrical contractors and nominated managers (PDF, 188.5 KB)
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
- Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
- Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of the Certificate of Currency for insurance. This must be in the trading name (sole trader, business or company) and must cover personal injury and damage to property for at least $5 million dollars for any one occurrence in respect of Public Liability and in the annual aggregate in respect of Products Liability (new applications and renewals)
- Scan and save (computer or digital storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your company or business name registration (if using a name other than your own personal name) (new applications only)
- Provide the details of your Nominated Manager who must be a licensed practitioner and scan and upload their Statement of Attainment / Results for course UEENEEG175 - Develop compliance policies and plans to conduct an electrical contracting business (new application only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay the licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop (external link).
If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.
In the last 10 years has the company/business or the owner(s) or Director(s) of the company/business:
- Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work has been issued to the company/business or to the owner(s) or Director(s), you should tick yes)
- Settled a civil action or had a civil judgment given against them in their capacity as a contractor?
- Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work refused, disqualified, cancelled or suspended?
- Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
- Been declared bankrupt, been discharged from bankruptcy, entered into arrangements with creditors or assigned their property to pay debts?
- Been subject to a winding up order or had a controller appointed or been placed in receivership, administration or under official management or entered into other arrangements with creditors due to insolvency?
- Is the company/business insolvent or in receivership?
Apply for a licence Renew a licence