Building Services Designer licence

A building services designer plans specific services contained within a building project.

There are four categories:

  • Mechanical services
  • Electrical services
  • Hydraulic services
  • Fire services

There are three classes:

  • Restricted
  • Limited
  • Domestic


  • To hold a restricted licence you must have the relevant advanced diploma and three years relevant experience.
  • To hold a limited licence you must have the relevant diploma and two years relevant experience.
  • To hold a domestic licence you must have the relevant certificate IV and two years relevant experience.
  • All building service providers must act only within the area of their competence, as detailed in the Occupational Licensing (Building Services Work) Determination 2021 (PDF, 650.2 KB).

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Provide evidence of your identity (Tasmanians and people living interstate / New Zealand) (new applications only)
  4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  5. You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.


You will be required to answer the following questions in your online application.  If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documents.

  1. Have you in the last 10 years been convicted of a criminal offence (other than a minor traffic offence) or are any court proceedings pending?
  2. Have you ever been disqualified from holding a licence or registration as a building services provider or have you had any occupational licence or certificate cancelled or suspended (including interstate licences, certificates or registrations)?
  3. In respect of any work you have done in an equivalent position, have you ever been fined, reprimanded or cautioned for any breach of rules, professional conduct or code of ethics?
  4. Have you been declared bankrupt or entered into an arrangement with creditors in the last 10 years?
  5. Have you, in the past 10 years, been a director, secretary or a person in a position to control or substantially influence a company's conduct or affairs within 12 months of that company being placed in receivership, administration, official administration, under a deed of company arrangement, in liquidation or wound up for the benefit of creditors?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 12 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.