Role, scope and compliance policy
Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS), is a business unit of the Department of Justice in the Tasmanian government.
We work towards a fair, just and safe Tasmania through the delivery of equitable, efficient and effective consumer, building and occupational regulation.
To do this, we:
- advise and educate consumers, tenants, businesses and landlords on their rights, responsibilities and changes to the law
- review and advise the state government on consumer legislation and industry codes
- advise and educate consumers and people in the building industry about the state’s building legislation and national standards
- register and license businesses and occupations
- conciliate disputes between consumers and traders, tenants and landlords, and consumers and building practitioners
- enforce and ensure compliance with consumer laws, building laws and gas and electricity safety standards.
We advise and assist on topics including renting and accommodation, building, shopping and trading.
We licence or register and regulate a range of occupations including motor vehicle traders, conveyancers, security officers, and people working with children or vulnerable adults.
We licence a range of occupations in the building industry including builders, building surveyors, architects, engineers, designers, owner builders, plumbers, electricians, gas-fitters and automotive gas-fitters.
- Improve trading practices and safeguard the community
- Increase the capacity of consumers and industries to understand and exercise their rights and obligations
- Develop and manage systems and processes that support the effective operation of our services
- Build the skills of our staff to maximise the effective operation of our services
- Strengthen the organisational culture to support and positive and productive workplace
Our compliance policy
For information on how we ensure compliance with consumer laws and building laws, read our Service delivery - accountability and commitment policy Sep 2017 (PDF, 5.5 MB).
Engagement and audit program
For information on CBOS audit and compliance activities read:
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.