Principle functions of Electricity Standards and Safety (ESS) are:
- monitoring standards of electrical work through the inspection of electrical work
- auditing of recording, notification and certification of electrical work by electrical practitioners and contractors
- management of the Electrical Safety Inspection Service for the inspection of electrical work
- approving the sale of prescribed electrical articles
- investigating complaints and incidents involving electrical appliances and equipment
- the investigation of electric shocks and accidents
- promoting electrical safety to industry and the community.