Principle functions of Electricity Standards and Safety (ESS) are:
- monitoring standards of electrical work through the inspection of electrical work
- auditing of recording, notification and certification of electrical work by electrical practitioners and contractors
- management of the Electrical Safety Inspection Service for the inspection of electrical work
- approving the sale of prescribed electrical articles
- investigating complaints and incidents involving electrical appliances and equipment
- the investigation of electric shocks and accidents
- promoting electrical safety to industry and the community.
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.