Proving your identity in Tasmania

You can prove your identity by visiting a Service Tasmania shop (external link) with the right evidence.

I live in Tasmania and have a driver's licence

You can prove your identity by showing an Australian driver’s licence with your correct name and address details.

I live in Tasmania but I don't have a driver's licence

You can prove your identify by showing 3 documents that confirm your name and address.

Main proof of identitySecond proof of identity
EITHER  show 1 of theseand 2 of these
OR  show 2 of theseand 1 of these
  • Australian Birth Certificate (not an Extract or commemorative certificate) issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Australian Citizenship papers
  • Australian Passport
  • Australian Driver's Licence
  • Overseas Passport/Visa
  • Australian Firearm Licence
  • Tasmanian Government Personal Information Card (displaying full name)
  • Department of Immigration and Citizenship issued travel documents, including a visa Department of Immigration and Citizenship Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status
  • Medicare card
  • Plastic bank or credit card, with signature
  • Student Identity Card with photo issued by an Australian Educational Institution
  • Department of Veterans Affairs / Centrelink Pensioner Concession card
  • Births, Deaths and Marriages - Change of Name / Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll

Document language

All documents must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation from an accredited translator.

Certified documents

If you bring copies of your original certificates they must be certified by a Commissioner for declaration or a Justice of the Peace (JP).

A Certified document is a copy of an original (often a photocopy) which has been endorsed as a true copy of the primary document. It does not certify that the primary document is genuine, only that it is a true copy of the primary document.

I live interstate and am applying for a licence in Tasmania for the first time

If you live interstate and are applying for an occupational licence in Tasmania for the first time you will need to prove your identity by supplying certified copies of your driver's licence, passport or other combination of documentation (see table - Main proof and second proof of identity).

The name and/or address on my driver's licence or documents is wrong

If the name and/or home address on your documents is wrong, you need to show us evidence of your current name or address.

If your name is different to what is shown on your main proof of identify, you must also give us at least 1 original evidence of change of name document.

At least one of your documents or cards must show your date of birth and current Tasmanian home address.  If the current address is not shown, you need to provide a fourth document that is less than 6 months old, from the category evidence of residential address.

Evidence of change of nameEvidence of residential address
  • Marriage Certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages (or interstate / overseas Registry office equivalent)
  • Divorce Paper indicating the name being reverted to, as issued by a Court
  • Change of Name Registration issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages or Deed Poll
  • Guardianship Order issued by the relevant Authority
  • Adoption Paper issued by a Court
  • Financial institution statement
  • Utility account (power, water, sewerage, phone, gas) with evidence of payment
  • Council rate notice
  • Lease or rent agreement
  • Land Tax Valuation notice
  • Australian Tax Office Assessment (current or last financial year)
  • Certificate of Title
Updated: 17 Jan 2023

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.