Plumbing licence - practitioner

Plumbing work is the design, construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration, maintenance, servicing, testing, commissioning, decommissioning or removal of any part of plumbing installations or systems and requires a licence.

There are different categories and classes for licensing plumbers and this means that you need to know what work they are qualified to do.

  1. Practitioner - you need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake plumbing work.  This includes if you are an employee of a business who is engaging in plumbing work.
  2. Contractor - you need a contractor licence if you intend to sell plumbing services to the public, business or government. Each contractor must have at least one Nominated Manager (at certifier level). A Nominated Manager can be either the contractor or another person who has the skills, knowledge and capacity to perform the role for the contractor.
  3. Provisional – a provisional plumbing licence is granted for overseas people only.  A provisional plumbing work licence can be issued to allow for the completion of training to gain a qualification or training relevant to the eligibility to gaining a practitioner licence.

A Nominated Manager is the person in a Plumbing Contractor's business who is responsible for certifying that the work complies with current relevant plumbing standards.


To apply for a practitioner licence you must have completed both an apprenticeship and a minimum of a Certificate III in Plumbing, or a Certificate III in Roof Plumbing or a Certificate III in Mechanical Services.

If you are applying more than 3 years after you have received your plumbing qualification, or more than 3 years after you held a licence in the class you intend to apply for, you must satisfy the Administrator of Occupational Licensing that you have the current competencies to perform that class of plumbing work.

If your qualification is older than 3 years and you have not been licensed in Australia during this time (ie, not maintained your plumbing practitioner competency during this time), you will need to do either of the following:

  1. First ask CBOS which units you require, then contact a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to do the 'refresher' training required; or
  2. Contact CBOS to see if you are eligible to sit a Plumber Practitioner Competency Assessment (paper-based, open-book test), conducted by TasTAFE (external link), in order to demonstrate your competency to be licensed.

Please note the competency assessment is for the practitioner level only. An assessment for the Certifier level may be introduced in 2019.

You should provide a letter from your last plumbing employer who can provide CBOS with confirmation that you worked in the plumbing industry up to when your licence expired.

Renewing an expired practitioner’s licence

You cannot renew a licence if it has expired for more than 60 days.  You are required to submit a new application.

If your licence has been expired for more than 2 years you will need to provide your qualifications with your application.  This is to assess your suitability to work in the industry since you were last licensed.

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
  4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  5. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate III and/or IV Qualification (new application only)
  6. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Statement of Results (new application only)
  7. You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
    If your response to the licence question relating to CPD is 'No' due to COVID-19, please advise this in the Additional Information section of the online form. CBOS will contact you for more details. Example text: CPD not completed due to COVID-19.
  8. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop.

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.


If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 10 years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
  6. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).

Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 12 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.