Lodging annual returns

Incorporated associations - annual revenue over $250,000

  • Associations with revenue over the $250,000 threshold must lodge an Annual Return with CBOS.
  • The Annual Return must contain:
    • an income and expenditure statement
    • a list of names and residential addresses of the committee members and
    • an Auditor's Report confirming the accuracy of the income and expenditure statement.
  • Lodge an Annual return:

Incorporated associations - annual revenue below $250,000

  • An association must prepare and submit financial statements however the annual financial audit requirement has been removed.
  • Lodge an Annual return:
  • An association should review their constitution and either:
    • take advantage of the $250,000 threshold and remove the annual audit requirement by changing the constitution by Special Resolution; or
    • elect to continue to have audited statements or add the requirement into the constitution

Electronic Updates

You can now opt to receive notification of your annual return and pay the lodgement fee electronically. Choosing to transact online can make the task of submitting annual returns easier and quicker.

To start receiving the web link to your Annual Return form you can provide an email address when completing an online form or email your address to registration.services@justice.tas.gov.au

You will need to confirm that you agree to receive correspondence by email.

Submit Online

From 1 October 2021, you are able to lodge your Incorporated Association Annual Return online. You can access the form on the website at: www.cbos.tas.gov.au/incorporated-associations

For current office bearers their personal addresses will no longer be displayed on the Annual Return forms from the commencement of the updated forms.

Submit Documents Online

To submit online, attach electronic copies of the relevant documents to your annual return form. There are clear instructions on the form to help you attach the relevant documents and make your submission.

Pay Online

Once the Annual Return is submitted online, you will be prompted by a new screen to pay the lodgement fee. The payment can be made by credit card – Visa and Master Card are accepted. If you cannot pay online, an invoice can be printed when submitting the Annual Return form.

Service Tasmania

You can continue to lodge forms and make payments at any Service Tasmania shop if you receive an Annual Return by post.

The new form allows you to submit the completed annual return online and then print an invoice, which can then be paid at a Service Tasmania shop.

For further information, contact us.

Incorporated association which is a registered charity

  • An organisation registered and complying with the Australian Charities Not-for-profits Commissioner (ACNC) does not have to submit financial statements to the Tasmanian Commissioner for Corporate Affairs.
  • The Commissioner can still request a copy of information your organisation has supplied to the ACNC.
  • If your organisation fails to lodge a return with the ACNC, the Commissioner will require your organisation to comply with the Tasmanian reporting requirements.
Updated: 01 Aug 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.