What is a prepaid funeral agreement?
- in writing,
- signed by each party to the agreement, and
- printed in a minimum font size 10 points.
- the name and address of the funeral business
- the name and address of the person entering into the prepaid funeral agreement either for their own or someone else's benefit (the contributor)
- the name of the approved prepaid funeral trust or deposit scheme such as the Catholic Development Fund, where the money is saved until the funeral service is provided
- full details and costs of each funeral service
- the due date on which full payment is required. If payments are to be made by instalment, the amount owing and the due date of each instalment must be provided
- any terms or conditions
- any fees, brokerage or commission that must be paid
- any GST or other amounts
- any other information outlined by the Regulations.
Refunding prepaid funeral payments
- any reasonable costs for the custodian, and
- any reasonable costs for the funeral business.
Ending a prepaid funeral agreement
You may be a contributor to a prepaid funeral agreement for yourself or for someone else. You may write to a funeral business and cancel your prepaid funeral agreement if:
- you or the person the funeral agreement is for (the recipient) no longer lives in Tasmania
- you or the person the funeral agreement is for has recently changed their relationship status
- the Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading says it's unreasonable the agreement should continue and/or the payments would cause serious hardship
- the funeral business has stopped trading
- the funeral services have already been given.
If you are a funeral business you may write to a contributor and cancel a prepaid funeral agreement because:
- your business has stopped trading
- your business is unable to provide the funeral services due to unforeseeable reasons.
Changing the costs to a prepaid funeral agreement
As a funeral business you cannot increase the cost of anything in the agreement after a prepaid funeral agreement has been signed. However, extra funeral services and charges can be added to the agreement.