A Permit Authority is a person who works for council and has responsibility for issuing building, plumbing and demolition permits.
The Permit Authority has a role in ensuring that building, plumbing and demolition works in their municipality (council) comply with the Building Act 2016.
If you are appointed to the role of permit authority after 1 January 2017, you will need to apply to be licensed and have a qualification in Certificate IV in Government (Statutory Compliance).
If you have been working in this role immediately before 1 January 2017 you will be taken to hold a licence under the Occupational Licensing Act 2005 for up to 2 years. You are then required to apply to be licensed before 31 December 2018 and hold a qualification in Certificate IV in Government (Statutory Compliance).
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate IV in Government (Statutory Compliance) (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of their certificate of currency for professional indemnity insurance
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a letter from the General Manager or their delegate confirming your appointment as a permit authority for that council.
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop (external link)
If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.
Apply for your licence
Step 1. Save documents to a computer or a storage device like a USB (see checklist)
Step 2. Select Apply Now (below)