A Permit Authority is a person who works for council and has responsibility for issuing building, plumbing and demolition permits.
The Permit Authority has a role in ensuring that building, plumbing and demolition works in their municipality (council) comply with the Building Act 2016.
If you are appointed to the role of permit authority after 1 January 2017, you will need to apply to be licensed and have a qualification in Certificate IV in Government (Statutory Compliance). For a full list of the eligible qualifications see the Building Services Work Determination 2019 (PDF, 650.2 KB).
CPD (Continuing Professional Development)
As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.
- Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
- Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
- Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
- Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
- Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate IV in Government (Statutory Compliance) (new application only)
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of their certificate of currency for professional indemnity insurance
- Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of a letter from the General Manager or their delegate confirming your appointment as a permit authority for that council.
- You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewal only)
- Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop (external link).
If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.