Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR)

AMR has commenced for the majority of occupational licences administered by CBOS.

Read more about automatic mutual recognition for occupational licences


Apprentices - applying for your licence

Electrical, Plumbing and Gas-fitting apprentices have up to one calendar month to apply for a licence after completing of their training.

Other building trades are not licensed in Tasmania, however should you wish to manage or certify building work, you will need to apply for a builder's licence. Generally you will need at least two years' experience following your trade apprenticeship before you can become a licensed builder. The requirements are explained in the Building Services Work Determination 2019 (PDF, 650.2 KB).


Apprentices must complete their Contract of Training with their employer as administered by Skills Tasmania before being eligible to apply for a licence.

Electrical apprentices must work for a contractor for 12 months and complete the contractor training before being eligible to apply for contractor licence.

Building apprentices will need at least two years' experience following your trade apprenticeship before you can become a licensed builder.

CPD (Continuing Professional Development)

As a licence holder, you are required to maintain and develop skills and knowledge through ongoing learning activities known as Continuing Professional Development or CPD. Find out more information about CPD points, training providers, CPD events calendar and training resources.

Select your trade

Read the checklist and declaration before you apply for your licence.

Related information

Updated: 25 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.