Consumer, Building and Occupational Services administers the following legislation and regulatory documents. Access to the full text of all Tasmanian Acts and Regulations is available from Tasmania's consolidated legislation online.
Some Acts have regulatory documents (Director's Determinations, Codes of Practice and other supporting documentation) relating to them. These documents are to be read along with the legislation.
Legislation administered by CBOS
Architects Act 1929
The Architects Act 1929 regulates the licensing and registration of persons in Tasmania using the title of ‘architect’. Architects must be registered by the Board of Architects of Tasmania and apply to CBOS for an occupational licence to practise.
Associations Incorporation Act 1964
The Associations Incorporation Act 1964 provides for bodies (clubs, societies, institutions) to be incorporated as associations. Incorporation is a voluntary, simple and inexpensive means of establishing a legal entity. It is particularly suitable for small, community-based organisations. It is not suitable for registering a company for business purposes.
Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) Act 2010
The Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) Act 2010 applies the national Australian Consumer Law as the law of Tasmania, and provides for the enforcement of the Act.
- Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) Regulations 2022
- Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) Infringement Regulations 2021
- Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) (Code of Practice for Fuel Price Boards) Regulations 2017
- Fair Trading (Code of Practice for Retail Tenancies) Regulations 1998
- Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) (Code of Practice for Fuel Price Reporting) Regulations 2020
Boy Scouts Association Act 1954
The Boy Scouts Association Act 1954 provides for the incorporation of the Tasmanian State Council of the Boy Scouts Association as a legal entity.
Building Act 2016
The Building Act 2016 regulates the performance and standards of building, demolition and plumbing work in Tasmania, including work approval processes, and all work must comply with the National Construction Code.
- Director's Specified List (PDF, 623.6 KB)
- Accreditation and maintenance of plumbing installations (PDF, 305.1 KB)
- Building administration fee (PDF, 212.5 KB)
- Building product accreditation - High risk building products (PDF, 145.6 KB)
- Categories of building and demolition work (PDF, 984.5 KB)
- Categories of plumbing work (PDF, 954.2 KB)
- Certificates by qualified persons for assessable item (PDF, 253.6 KB)
- Exemptions from obligation to upgrade existing buildings (PDF, 180.0 KB)
- Maintenance of essential building services (PDF, 208.5 KB)
- Protection work (PDF, 170.7 KB)
- Referral to function control authorities (PDF, 383.5 KB)
- Short or medium term visitor accommodation (PDF, 125.9 KB)
- Special circumstances for expired approvals
(PDF, 246.5 KB)
- Special fire hazard materials (PDF, 152.4 KB)
- Temporary occupancy permit (PDF, 363.2 KB)
- Building in hazardous areas
- Bushfire hazard areas (PDF, 477.3 KB)
- Coastal erosion hazard areas (PDF, 360.3 KB)
- Coastal inundation areas (PDF, 357.6 KB)
- Landslip hazard areas (PDF, 388.9 KB)
- Riverine inundation areas (PDF, 326.0 KB)
- Application requirements for building in bushfire-prone areas (transitional) (PDF, 183.7 KB)
- Requirements for building in bushfire-prone areas (transitional) (PDF, 362.2 KB)
- Supporting documentation
- Checklist - Categories of building and demolition work Determination (PDF, 203.0 KB)
- Guide to approved forms - plumbing work (PDF, 106.6 KB)
- Index to categories of building and demolition work Determination (PDF, 112.5 KB)
- List of approved forms - Building Act and Regulations 2016 (PDF, 243.6 KB)
- List of changes - approved forms - Building Act and Regs 2016 (PDF, 81.3 KB)
- List of changes - categories of building and demolition work Determination
(PDF, 69.6 KB)
- List of changes - plumbing work Determination (PDF, 57.8 KB)
Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2009
The Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 2009 provides for contractors in the building and construction industry to pursue payment prior to seeking a court outcome.
Co-operatives National Law (Tasmania) Act 2015
The Co-operatives National Law (Tasmania) Act 2015 is part of uniform co-operative laws applied across Australia. Co-operatives wishing to carry on business across a State or Territory border no longer have to register in each jurisdiction.
Collections for Charities Act 2001
The Collections for Charities Act 2001 regulate the collection of donations by charities. Certain organisations must be approved before they can seek donations for charitable purposes.
Commissioner for Corporate Affairs Act 1980
The Commissioner for Corporate Affairs Act 1980 provides for appointment of a Commissioner for Corporate Affairs and their functions.
Consumer Affairs Act 1988
The Consumer Affairs Act 1988 establishes the Office of Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading for the interests of consumers, including making investigations and collecting and disseminating information. Also see: Australian Consumer Law (Tasmania) Act 2010
Conveyancing Act 2004
The Conveyancing Act 2004 provides for licensing of conveyancers to undertake transfers of land between owners, and related activities.
Disposal of Uncollected Goods Act 2020
The Disposal of Uncollected Goods Act 2020 provides businesses with rules to follow when owners of goods, left for a service such as repairs, do not collect them or cannot be contacted.
Electricity Industry Safety and Administration (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Act 1997
The Electricity Industry Safety and Administration (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Act 1997 outlines consequential amendments and savings or transitional provisions made by the Electricity Industry Safety and Administration Act 1997.
Electricity Industry Safety and Administration Act 1997
The Electricity Industry Safety and Administration Act 1997 establishes safety standards for electrical goods and for the performance of electrical work. Provides for investigation of accidents in the electricity industry.
Electricity Supply Industry Act 1995 (Part 8)
The Electricity Supply Industry Act 1995 (Part 8) provides that Authorised Officers may be appointed to investigate and enforce this Act.
Flammable Clothing Act 1973
The Flammable Clothing Act 1973 requires the marking or labelling in a prescribed manner of certain articles of clothing that meet Australian Standards.
Gas Safety Act 2019
The Gas Safety Act 2019 regulates the gas industry to provide for safety and technical standards to ensure that the gas supply industry, gas facilities, gas installations, gas appliances, gas storage systems and gas conditioning systems are constructed, maintained and operated to a high standard to protect persons and property.
Girl Guides' Association Act 1957
The Girl Guides' Association Act 1957 provides for the incorporation of the Tasmanian State Council of the Girl Guides Association as a legal entity.
Landlord and Tenant Act 1935
The Landlord and Tenant Act 1935 consolidates laws relating to landlords and tenants including leases, rents, and the repossession of land. Also see: Residential Tenancies Act and Retail Leases Act.
Motor Vehicle Traders Act 2011
The Motor Vehicle Traders Act 2011 provides for the licensing of persons who are in the business of buying or selling of motor vehicles.
Occupational Licensing Act 2005
The Occupational Licensing Act 2005 provides for the licensing of persons performing work in occupations covering building contractors, designers of building work, building surveyors, plumbers, electrical workers and gas-fitters. The Act also imposes requirements that they be properly qualified, experienced and competent to perform work safely and in accordance with standards and codes of practice.
- All trades
Approved courses of training (PDF, 498.2 KB)
Time limit to apply for a licence (PDF, 37.0 KB)
Continuing professional development (PDF, 202.0 KB)
Building services work (PDF, 836.0 KB)
Electrical work licence classes (PDF, 457.0 KB)
Gas-fitting work licence classes - gas installation (PDF, 684.1 KB)
Gas-fitting work licence classes - mobile and stationary engine (PDF, 512.9 KB)
Endorsement for gas installations - storage systems (PDF, 132.7 KB)
Eligibility to be a plumber nominated manager (PDF, 122.0 KB)
Plumbing work licence classes (PDF, 353.8 KB)
Restricted roof drainage endorsement (PDF, 179.6 KB)
- All trades
- Codes of Practice:
- All trades
Fit and Proper Code of Practice 2010 (PDF, 146.5 KB)
Occupational Licensing (Supervision of Prescribed Work) Code of Practice 2022 (PDF, 719.7 KB)
- Building Surveyor
Building Surveyors Code of Practice 2018(PDF, 306.7 KB)
- Occupational Licensing Electricity Consumption Metering Code of Practice 2022 (PDF, 375.9 KB)
Standards of Electrical Work Code of Practice 2017 (PDF, 718.5 KB)
Classification of Electrical Work Code of Practice 2018 (PDF, 200.2 KB)
Occupational Licensing (High Voltage Electrical Work - Certification and Energisation) Code of Practice 2021 (PDF, 1.1 MB)
Standards of Gas-fitting Work Code of Practice 2019 (PDF, 135.4 KB)
Standards of Plumbing Work Code of Practice 2019(PDF, 184.4 KB)
- All trades
- Occupational Licensing (Class 7b Farm sheds by owner) Exemption Order 2021 (PDF, 357.9 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Electrical Safety Inspection Service Exemption) Order 2013 (PDF, 294.6 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Electrical Work Exemptions) Order 2018 (PDF, 490.1 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Electrical Work - Trade's Assistant - Licensing Exemption) Order 2012 (PDF, 169.1 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Gas-fitting Exemption) Order 2018 (PDF, 375.3 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Internal Combustion Engine Gas-fitting Work) Exemption Order 2019 (PDF, 72.4 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Mechanical Services Refrigerated Air Conditioning Exemptions) Order 2010 (PDF, 129.0 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Medical Gas Exemption) Order 2012 (PDF, 145.0 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Plumbing Exemptions) Order 2015 (PDF, 375.3 KB)
- Occupational Licensing (Solar panel site plans) Exemption Order 2021 (PDF, 338.9 KB)
Partnership Act 1891
The Partnership Act 1891 consolidates business partnership law relating to their formation, activities and dissolution.
Prepaid Funerals Act 2004
The Prepaid Funerals Act 2004 regulates the provision of prepaid funeral services. A prepaid funeral agreement must be in writing, signed by each party to the agreement and contain required information.
Professional Standards Act 2005
The Professional Standards Act 2005 provides for limitation of legal liability of members of occupational associations in certain circumstances, and improve the standards of services provided by members.
Property Agents and Land Transactions Act 2016
The Property Agents and Land Transactions Act 2016 provides for licensing of estate agents, auctioneers, property managers and property representatives. The Act also mandates qualifications of applicants, and requires real estate businesses have trust accounts and other requirements for consumer protection.
Registration to Work With Vulnerable People Act 2013
The Registration to Work With Vulnerable People Act 2013 requires persons wanting to work with children, the disabled, or other vulnerable persons, to undergo a background check and be registered.
- Registration to Work With Vulnerable People Regulations 2014
- Registration to Work With Vulnerable People (Risk Assessment for Child-related Activities) Order 2014
- Registration to Work with Vulnerable People (Risk Assessment for NDIS Endorsed Activities) Order 2020
- Registration to Work with Vulnerable People (NDIS Disqualifying Offences) Order 2020
Residential Building Work Contracts and Dispute Resolution Act 2016
The Residential Building Work Contracts and Dispute Resolution Act 2016 regulates the contractual relationship between building contractors and owners. Dispute resolution methods are prescribed. The Act also requires written contracts, cooling off periods and certain statutory warranties.
Residential Tenancy Act 1997
The Residential Tenancy Act 1997 regulates the relationship between landlords and tenants for the lease of residential premises, including houses, flats and apartments. Includes provisions on rent, security deposits and minimum standards of premises.
Retirement Villages Act 2004
The Retirement Villages Act 2004 regulates retirement villages and the rights and obligations of their operators and all persons residing in those villages.
Royal Society Act 1911
The Royal Society Act 1911 provides for the incorporation of the Royal Society as a legal entity.
Sale of Goods (Vienna Convention) Act 1987
The Sale of Goods (Vienna Convention) Act 1987 is an Act to give the International Convention on Contracts for the Sale of Goods (CISG), also known as the “Vienna Convention”, force of law in Tasmania. The Vienna Convention is a treaty setting out a uniform law for international sale of goods. Australia has adopted the CISG and this Act applies it in Tasmania.
Sale of Goods Act 1896
The Sale of Goods Act 1896 codifies the law relating to the sale of goods including actions for breach of contract. It applies primarily to business to business transactions, as the Australian Consumer Law now applies to consumer transactions that cost less than $100,000.
Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 1994
The Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 1994 regulates persons wanting to establish a business as a second-hand dealer or pawnbroker. They must notify the Commissioner of Police, and dealers must keep records of goods purchased or pawned and make them available to the police.
Security and Investigations Agents Act 2002
The Security and Investigations Agents Act 2002 regulates occupations of Security Agents, Inquiry Agents, Commercial Agents, Crowd Controllers, and their employees. Persons must hold a licence and meet fit and proper person tests.
Trades Unions Act 1889
The Trades Unions Act 1889 gives trade unions legal status as a body corporate so they may own property and sue to enforce their rights. Their activities are not subject to claims for damages as an unreasonable restraint of trade. Provides for the registration of unions.
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.