IMPORTANT changes to rental laws during emergency period (COVID-19)
New laws have commenced which affect tenants, property owners and agents. Read about the COVID-19 Disease (Emergency Provisions) Act 2020 and the changes to:
- a statement from the repairer about the cause of the need for repair and
- a copy of the invoice and
- a copy of the receipt of payment.
The owner is to repay the tenant within 14 days after receiving these things, unless the owner makes an application to the Court within these 14 days to dispute the repayment.
Disputing an invoice for repair costs
An owner may only dispute an invoice if:
- the owner was not notified of the need for repair or
- the need for repair was the fault of the tenant or
- because the tenant did not do as they should have done under their lease or
- the tenant authorised and had urgent repairs carried out without waiting 24 hours for the owner to do it.
The Court may order an owner to reimburse the tenant:
- the full amount, or
- some of the invoice, or
- none of the invoice.
This does not apply to boarding houses