- The average processing time for an application is six weeks from the date the application is accepted.
- The application will not be accepted and there will be a delay if:
- incorrect information or documents are in your application OR
- we are waiting for you to complete actions like getting an ID photo or fingerprints taken OR
- further investigation is needed.
- An incomplete application form or one that requires further investigation will take longer and the delay will depend on what information is needed.
You are unable to work or operate within the security industry without a current licence identification card
Training and qualifications
Find a licensed security agent
- Guide to licensing services for Security Agents June 2018 (PDF, 5.6 MB)
- Security and Investigations Agents Act 2002 (external link)
- Securing and Investigations Agents Regulations 2015 (external link)
- Apply for a security agent - individual licence
- Apply for a security agent - employee licence
- Apply for a security agent - body corporate licence
- Applying through mutual recognition for security and investigation agents licence
This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.