While on duty the licence issued by the Department of Justice must be worn when performing the following activities:
- security general guarding
- security guarding with dog
- security guarding with firearm
- monitoring room operator
- crowd control
The licence must be:
- clearly visible
- attached or placed over the licensee's outer clothing (not covered by a jacket or other garment)
- at or above the licensee's waist
- at the front or side of the licensee's body
- the front (i.e. the side of the photograph) clearly visible to a person standing in front of the licensee.
The licensee must not cover any part of the licence (eg, the licensee's name) to prevent it from being seen.
Crowd controller identification
If you are employed as a crowd controller, your employer must issue you with an identity number card. You must carry this card and your licence at all times when working as a crowd controller and produce these cards if requested. Your employer must be fully licensed and have the crowd control activity on their licence.
Important: The following is an example of an identity number card. This numbered card is not the same as the plastic photographic licence issued by the Department of Justice.
An identifying number must be:
- worn by crowd controllers
- worn on the chest
- securely attached to the outside of clothing
- visible at all times while performing crowd control activities
- legible with two different contrasting colours (eg black character on a white background)
- a one or two digit number (minimum 3cm high and 5mm thick)
- contain the word SECURITY (minimum 5mm high)
- issued before starting work.
All security licence holders must carry their licence while working.
Exemption from wearing an identity card
An exemption from wearing an identity card may be granted to certain licensees due to the special nature of their duties such as:
- the transport of cash or valuables
- loss prevention.
You must carry your licence with you at all times and produce it if requested even though you have an exemption to wear it.
An exemption is only valid until the expiry date on the holder's current licence and must be applied for at every renewal period.
How to apply for an exemption
You need to apply for an exemption online when you are applying for or renewing your security agent licence.