Registration holder obligations

Registration status

You must hold registration before you start working or volunteering in a child-related regulated activity.

We will email you with your registration number as soon as you are registered.

You do not need to wait for the card to arrive in the mail – your organisation can check your registration status online on the check an application/registration page.

Class of registration

If you get paid for your role, you need to hold an Employment/Volunteer registration.

It is an offence for you to use a volunteer registration if you are receiving payment or other material benefit or reward.

If you need to change your class of registration, you can do this online through My Registration

Change my details

You need to let us know within ten (10) working days if your name, address, employment or volunteering details have changed.

You can change most of your details through My Registration

To change your name, you will need to provide proof of the change at Service Tasmania shop (external link).

Change my criminal history

If your criminal history has changed since you were first registered, you must let us know within ten (10) working days of being charged, convicted of, or found guilty of a relevant offence. A relevant offence is outlined in Section 3 of the Registration to Work with Vulnerable People Act 2013.

You also need to let us know if any of the below details have changed since you first applied:

  • overseas offence details
  • family violence order details
  • restraint orders / apprehended violence order details
  • child protection orders (that you have been involved in)

Can I work once I have applied for registration?

Until you receive notification that your registration has been granted, you remain unregistered.  However, you may be able to start working or volunteering in a regulated activity before your registration is granted, in the following circumstances:

  • If you have named an employer on your application;
  • If your named employer has agreed to engage you to work or volunteer in the regulated activity;
  • If your named employer is satisfied that you have applied for registration and that your application is pending; and
  • If your named employer has prepared and implemented a risk management plan that is relevant to the work or volunteering you are undertaking.

Related links

Updated: 25 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.