Building in hazardous areas

In Tasmania specific building standards apply in designated areas potentially subject to natural hazards.

What are hazardous areas?

The Building Act 2016 (external link) defines a hazardous area as land that has the following attributes or risks:

  • bushfire, landslip or flooding
  • slope instability
  • erosion or coastal inundation (flooding)
  • sea level rises or storm surges.

New Determinations for building in hazardous areas

The Director of Building Control has authorised a set of Determinations containing specific building requirements relating to the relevant hazards. These Determinations apply in municipal areas where the Local Council has adopted the Tasmanian Planning Scheme and are aimed to improve building safety.

The new Determinations are:

When do the new Determinations apply?

The Determinations take effect on the commencement date which is located on the first page of each document.

Tasmanian Planning Scheme

The Tasmanian Planning Scheme is a single statewide scheme delivering consistent planning controls across the State, and providing flexibility to address local issues. The scheme contains planning hazard codes as well as maps defining land subject to various natural hazards.

Find out if your property is affected by any hazards on the planning scheme maps by visiting the iplan website (external link) or you can use the PlanBuild Tasmania Enquiry service (external link) to find out if a property is within a hazardous area.

When a council has not adopted the Tasmanian Planning Scheme

If you plan to build in a bushfire-prone area and the local council has not adopted the new Tasmanian Planning Scheme, there are two Determinations you should read:

  1. Application of Requirements for Building in Bushfire-Prone Areas (transitional) Determination (PDF, 183.9 KB) (PDF, 352.2 KB)
  2. Requirements for building in bushfire-prone areas (transitional) Determination (PDF, 367.1 KB) (PDF, 362.2 KB)

The specific building requirements for areas subject to bushfire, landslip and flooding are set out in the Building Act 2000 (external link) and Building Regulations 2014 (external link) continue to apply until the new Tasmanian Planning Scheme is adopted in that municipality. See the Fact Sheet - Building requirements for hazardous areas – transitional provisions (PDF, 257.8 KB) for more details.

When do hazardous area requirements apply?

The hazardous area requirements apply to your work if the land is located in a relevant hazard area (either shown on the planning scheme maps or otherwise defined), and the work is:

  • permit work, or
  • low risk or notifiable work listed in Schedule 1 of the relevant hazard Determination, or
  • significant work in a landslip hazard area or bushfire-prone area.

What are the exemptions to hazardous area requirements?

The hazardous area requirements do not apply if:

  • the land is located outside a relevant hazard area, or
  • the work is not low risk work or notifiable work listed in Schedule 1 of the relevant hazard Determination; or
  • the work is specified as an exclusion in the Building Regulations 2016 or in the relevant hazard Determination.
Updated: 23 Aug 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.