Gas-fitting licence - contractor


You need a contractor licence if you intend to sell gas-fitting services to the public, business or government.

To apply for a Gas-Fitting licence you must have completed a minimum of Certificate III in Gas-Fitting, Certificate III in Plumbing or Certificate III in Mechanical Services plus Certificate IV competencies.

Do I need a nominated manager?

The contractor must list a Nominated Manager and this person may be the owner. If they are the owner and they are listed as a nominated manager, they must be licensed at the same level as a contractor licence.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Provide evidence of your identity (new application only)
  4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  5. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate of Currency for insurance. This must be in the trading name (sole trader, business or company) and must cover personal injury and damage to property for at least $5 million dollars for any one occurrence in respect of Public Liability and in the annual aggregate in respect of Products Liability (new applications and renewals)
  6. Scan and save (computer or digital storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your company or business name registration (if using a name other than your own personal name) (new applications only)
  7. You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (renewals only)
  8. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at Service Tasmania shop.

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.


If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 10 years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Has any employer taken disciplinary action against you for any type of unsafe prescribed work?
  6. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).

Any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 16 Sep 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.