If you live in Tasmania
When you are applying for your security agent licence for the first time you must have your fingerprints taken. The Security and Investigations Agents Act 2002 (external link) requires all applicants to be fingerprinted.
Consumer, Building and Occupational Services (CBOS) will automatically order you a National Police record check (external link) as part of your online application or renewal.
You will have the option to pay a fee for your fingerprints and National Police record checks by credit card when you apply for your licence online OR you can visit a Service Tasmania shop (external link) to make payment.
You need to give consent to and have your fingerprints checked at a Tasmanian Police station, and take with you:
- The payment receipt (download and print receipt online or from Service Tasmania)
- Photo identification.
Please note if your fingerprints have been taken previously for a licence they may still be in police records. To check, contact Tasmania Police (external link).
Your fingerprints report will be sent to CBOS as part of the application process.
If you live interstate
Consumer, Building and Occupational Services will automatically order you a National Police check as part of your online application or renewal.
You need to give consent for CBOS to order you a National Police record check (external link). You will pay a fee for your National Police check by credit card when you apply for your licence online.
You need to go to a Police station close to where you live and have your fingerprints taken. Your original fingerprints will be sent by post to CBOS.
If you live overseas
- Get the equivalent of an Australian Criminal Record from the country where you live.
- Have your fingerprints taken. If the country you live in does not do fingerprint checks, you must supply CBOS with a Statutory Declaration advising the same.
Upload your criminal history check and fingerprints to the My Licence portal as part of the application process. Documents must be in a digital format (i.e. PDF; jpeg; jpg; text) ready to upload to your online application.
Proving your identity
You must prove your identity by providing at least on primary document and one or more secondary documents.
Training and qualifications
- Guide to licensing services for Security Agents June 2018 (PDF, 5.6 MB)
- Security and Investigations Agents Act 2002 (external link)
- Security and Investigations Agents Regulations 2015 (external link)
- Applying through mutual recognition for security and investigation agents
- Apply for an agent individual licence
- Apply for an employee licence
- Apply for an agent body corporate licence
- Apply for a provisional licence
Search for a security agent licensed to operate in Tasmania