Product caused damage to other property

Consumers can seek compensation from a store or manufacturer when a faulty product causes damage to other property they own.

A consumer can apply to the business directly for damages or compensation. If the business refuses to pay or to reach an agreement to settle a dispute, the consumer can seek legal advice.

Updated: 25 Jul 2022

This page has been produced and published by the Consumer Building and Occupational Services Division of the Department of Justice. Although every care has been taken in production, no responsibility is accepted for the accuracy, completeness, or relevance to the user's purpose of the information. Those using it for whatever purpose are advised to verify it with the relevant government department, local government body or other source and to obtain any appropriate professional advice. The Crown, its officers, employees and agents do not accept liability however arising, including liability for negligence, for any loss resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information and/or reliance on its availability at any time.