Auto gas-fitting licence - practitioner

You need this licence if you work for a business that installs, services and repairs automotive and stationary gas fuel systems.  The licence restricts you to performing gas-fitting on mobile and stationary engines and does not extend to other kinds of gas-fitting.

There are four types of licences:


You need a practitioner licence if you wish to undertake automotive gas-fitting work.  This includes if you are an employee of a contractor engaging in automotive gas-fitting work.

Renewing an Expired Practitioner licence

You cannot renew a licence if it has expired for more than 60 days.  You are required to submit a new application.

If your licence has been expired for more than 2 years you will need to provide your qualifications with your application.  This is to assess your suitability to work in the industry since you were last licensed.


  1. Read the information on this licence page so you know what to do and what documents to provide
  2. Read the Personal Information Protection Statement
  3. Provide evidence of your identity (new applications only)
  4. Have a photo taken for your licence card at any Service Tasmania shop (external link) (Tasmanian applicants only)
    1. Interstate and overseas applicants will need to provide a passport size photo certified by a Commissioner for Declarations or a Justice of the Peace (JP).
  5. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Certificate III and/or IV Qualification (apply only)
  6. Scan and save (computer or storage device like a USB) a digital copy of your Statement of Results (new application only)
  7. You will need to confirm that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (new application only)
  8. Have a credit card ready to pay for your licence fee online or at any Service Tasmania shop (external link).

If your application is successful, you will receive confirmation within 21 days.


If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the questions below, you will need to provide details and copies of all relevant documentation.

In the last 10 years have you:

  1. Been refused a licence / registration / certificate to carry out any type of prescribed work?
  2. Had a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work disqualified, cancelled, suspended?
  3. Had conditions placed on a licence / registration / certificate relating to prescribed work?
  4. Been dismissed by an employer for any type of unsafe or defective prescribed work?
  5. Had disciplinary action taken against you by an employer for any type unsafe prescribed work?
  6. Been convicted of an offence of dishonesty or of an offence relating to prescribed work? (If you have been issued with an Infringement Notice relating to prescribed work, you should tick yes).

Do you have any disability that will affect your ability to perform prescribed work safely?

Apply for a licence Renew a licence

Related information

Updated: 29 May 2020