With the first of many cold snaps hitting last week, many Tasmanians will no doubt be bringing out hot water bottles, electric blankets, and heat packs over the coming weeks and months.
Now is the time to remember that while there are risks associated with these products, there are always practical steps that you can take to ensure you can keep safe and warm.
Important safety tips include:
- Regularly check smoke alarms to ensure they’re still functioning
- Check electric blankets before use to ensure cords haven’t frayed and the blanket still adequately covers any wiring
- Don’t overfill or use boiling water in hot water bottles
- Make sure your chimney is clean and properly ventilated before using a fireplace
- Never leave a lit candle unattended, especially around children
- If you have any electronic devices that use button batteries, make sure the batteries are secured and not easily accessible.
Doing these checks can mean the difference between life and death.
You can find all the Well Winter safety tips on the Product Safety Australia website.