Consumer, Building and Occupation Services (CBOS) is responsible for licensing building service providers, electrical workers, plumbers and gas-fitters operating in Tasmania. As part of the renewal process all licence holders must confirm their compliance with CPD.
The responsibility for recording continuous professional development activities is with the licence holder.
Employee: you and your employer must keep your CPD record
Sole practitioner: you are responsible.
If you do some relevant training or other CPD in your own time and your employer does not know about it, provide that information to your employer so they know you have done your CPD. You also keep a record of it yourself.
If you change employers, or decide to work for yourself, you should get a copy of your CPD record from your employer and keep it for future reference.
After you have attended a CPD activity, you, or your employer, need to record it. Record this information by the easiest method for you, and keep it as simple as possible. Examples of this could be to record it in your diary (for sole practitioners) or on a simple spreadsheet. CBOS have an example of a CPD Activity Record.
The main details to record are:
- the date
- the training course
- the training provider
- number of CPD points
- certificate of attendance or attainment - in most cases, training providers issue you with evidence of attendance or attainment. Examples include certificates, academic records, attendance records, or receipts if you purchased or hired learning resources.
If undertaking Research:
- reason for research
- Journal details eg name of journal, date of publication, article title
- Website details eg Title of article, year and the web address
In most cases, training providers issue you with evidence of attendance or attainment. Examples of this could include a certificate, academic record, attendance record, or a receipt if you purchase or hire learning resources. This information can also be added to your record should you want to include it.
Requirements for the Contractor
For those who hold a contractor licence, you are required to maintain a register of all employees who undertake work requiring a licence. The register must contain the licence details of each employee who carries out prescribed work, along with the qualifications, competencies and continuing professional development (including CPD points) of those employees. This register can be subject to audit by CBOS and must be made available when requested. Failure to keep an accurate register is an offence under the Occupational Licensing Act 2005, so it is important that it is maintained.
An individual’s record from the register should also be made available to licensed employees so that when they renew their licence, they can complete the CPD certification in the renewal process. However, it is up to the employee to advise you of any additional CPD so that it can be added to the register.
Where to Next
- CPD event calendar - shows the range of training events available by either industry, region and date. It also includes additional training resources with links to other approved training providers
- CPD - ongoing training - shows a list of CPD activities that are available on an ongoing basis
- CPD - additional training resources - provides additional lists of approved CPD training providers and their links
- How to plan and maintain your CPD when working or living outside of Tasmania - outlines your requirements for CPD whether living or working outside of Tasmania and links to CPD activities